· Prokaryotic Cell
- The organisms made of prokaryotic cells are called prokaryotes e.g. bacteria and cyanobacteria.
- These cells lack a membrane bound nucleus. The hereditary material (DNA) is found in cytoplasm.
- These cells lack membrane bound organelles.
- Ribosomes are of small size in and freely scattered cytoplasm.
- Cellulose is absent in cell wall, rather it is made up of peptido-glycan or murein.
- These cells are simple and of smaller size (average diameter 0.5 – 10 nm)
· Eukaryotic Cell
- The organisms mae of Eukaryotic cells are called Eukaryotes, e.g. animals, plants fungi and protists.
- These cells have a membrane bound nucleus; and hereditary material is found inside the nucleus.
- These cells have membrane bound organelles.
- Ribosomes are of large size and are present in endoplasmic reticulum free in cytoplasm.
- Cellulose is present in cell wall of plant cells. The cell wall of most of fungi is composed of chitin.
- These cells are complex and of larger size (Average diameter 10-100nm)